|This program is offered by the Department of Educational & Counselling Psychology, and Special Education. Learn more about ECPS programs.|
Vancouver Cohort Program
A three-year cohort program for working professionals in Vancouver and surrounding districts.
Are you interested in:
- Helping students overcome obstacles and develop strategies to live up to their highest potential?
- Helping your school district respond to the growing need for School Counsellors?
- Advancing your career by completing UBC’s internationally recognized 48-credit M.Ed. program?
- Participating in a program that incorporates small-group clinical experience (one day or evening per week during the second year) in addition to a practicum experience?
- Building relationships and interacting with colleagues as part of a community of learners?
When this program is completed you will be able to work with a variety of issues concerning adults and adolescents as well as keeping current with ethical issues in the field of counselling psychology.
This UBC program is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Counsellor Education Programs (CACEP)
The UBC M.Ed. in Counselling Psychology consists of 48 credits of course work which are typically completed in three years. The proposed schedule is as follows:
(3 week intensive)
|Introduction to Theories of Counselling||CNPS 365|
|Career Counselling||CNPS 363|
|Research Methodology in Education*||EDUC 500|
|September 2011||Individual and Family Counselling Theories and Interventions (Theory)||CNPS 578A|
|Individual and Family Counselling Theories and interventions (Lab) – on campus||CNPS 578B|
|January 2012||Ethics||CNPS 586|
|Counselling Adolescents**, or||CNPS 514|
|April 2012||School Counselling**||CNPS 504|
|June/July 2012||Group Counselling||CNPS 564|
|Career Counselling||CNPS 574|
|September 2012||Small Group Clinic (September – April)||CNPS 588|
|April 2013||Psychological Assessment in Counselling||CNPS 532|
|July 2013||Program Evaluation||CNPS 584|
|September 2013||Practicum||CNPS 598|
* EDUC 500 can be taken at any time during the three years.
** Choice of either CNPS 514 or CNPS 504
Program fees will be paid over a minimum of nine (9) installments, payable in September, January, and May of each year. For current information on tuition and student fees, please log in to the Student Service Centre.
To find out what it costs to take one of our graduate programs, please refer to the list of programs accepting applications.