ECED 421 (3.0) Online – Course Outline
- There is no exam
- Online topic discussion forum based on readings and websites responses
- Examining Your Community
- Analyzing Programs or Resources
- Final Assignment is a Research Paper
Philosophy, history and problems of the parent-teacher partnership; development of effective cooperation through individual parent-teacher conferences and parent-group discussions; and examination of community services and inter-professional relationships on behalf of children.
ECED 421 is a core course for a Minor in Education – Early Childhood Education and the Diploma in Education – Early Years Education. This online course is an elective for the Enhancing Early Learning Certificate and the Kindergarten Instruction Certificate.
- Describe the significance of family-school-community links in the education of children and the benefits to the larger community.
- Describe effective, respectful parental involvement and how this kind of involvement fits within public education systems.
- Identify potential challenges to building effective school, family and community partnerships.
- Describe the history, theoretical underpinnings and evolution of parental involvement in North America and Europe.
- Critically analyze various models of school, family and community programs.
- Develop a set of principles based upon current research and theory on how to build school, family and community relations.
|1||What Defines a Family?|
|2||Roles Parents Play|
|3||Diversity of Experience|
|4||What is Family Involvement?|
|5||Benefits of Partnerships|
|6||Potential Barriers to Partnerships|
|7||Informal Communication with Families|
|9||Families in the Classroom|
|11||It Takes a Village|
|12||Working With Families from Diverse Backgrounds|
|13||Working with Families in Particular Circumstances|
Articles and readings for each week are provided in the course modules which are accessible through the online Library Course Reserve in the Course.
REQUIRED COURSE MATERIAL
Call the UBC Bookstore to order: 604.822.2665, or toll-free in North America: 1.800.661.3889 or
Order online: http://shop.bookstore.ubc.ca/courselistbuilder.aspx
- Gestwicki, Carol. Home, School & Community Relations Ninth Edition. Cengage Learning, 2015. ISBN: 9781305089013
This is an online course. Students are required to have a computer, access to the Internet, and a Campus Wide Login ID and password to access the course website.
LIBRARY RESOURCES: Connect From Home
Your EZproxy connection will allow you to access library resources from your computer on or off campus. For more information, go to http://services.library.ubc.ca/off-campus-access/connect-from-home/
Telephone: 604.822.2013, or toll-free in North America: 1.888.492.1122
Latest Revision on: April 6, 2017