Diplomas & Certificates in Education

Diplomas & Certificates in Education:

Increase your leadership & expertise!

The Faculty of Education offers teachers and other professionals a variety of professional learning options, including certificates and diplomas that will add value to and increase your expertise in your chosen specialization. Or, why not choose something brand new to add to your professional skills!

The 30-credit diplomas listed on this site do not lead to teacher certification; but if you are a teacher, they will lead to a category upgrade with the Teacher Qualification Service.

Our programs are designed to meet the needs of teachers working in school districts and educators working in other settings. With programs in a variety of teaching specializations that range from early childhood, through school-aged children, to educating adults, there is a program that will deliver the skills you want.

Find Your Program

Diploma Program Location Advisor
Diploma in Education - Adult Learning & Education Online Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Art Education UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Computing Studies UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Curriculum and Instructional Studies UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Early Years Education Mixed Mode (Online & Face-to-Face) Bette Shippam
Diploma in Education - Guidance Studies Mixed Mode (Online & Face-to-Face) Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Health Education UBC Vancouver Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Home Economics Education Mixed Mode (Online & Face-to-Face) Bette Shippam
Diploma in Education - Infant Development & Supported Child Development Mixed Mode (Online & Face-to-Face) Bette Shippam
Diploma in Education - Literacy Education On-Campus UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Math Education UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Outdoor Environmental Education UBC Vancouver Bette Shippam
Diploma in Education - Physical Education UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Special Education Mixed Mode (Online & Face-to-Face) Bette Shippam
Diploma in Education - Teacher-Librarianship Online Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Teaching English as a Second Language UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller
Diploma in Education - Technology Studies UBC Vancouver Stephen Petrina
Diploma in Education - Visual & Performing Arts UBC Vancouver Dr. Lorrie Miller

Next Steps and FAQs

To register in courses offered for credit you must be admitted to the UBC Faculty of Education, Vancouver campus.

  • If you were previously a student here, you will need to apply for re-admission.
  • If you are a UBC Okanagan students, or interested in a program offered by UBC Okanagan, please see Admission Categories below.

Note that tuition fees are subject to review and change by the University.

Diploma Programs

Tuition fees for Education Diploma (DEDU) programs are found in the UBC Calendar: Post-baccalaureate Tuition.

If you have additional questions regarding tuition and fees, please contact an Enrolment Services Professional. 604.822.9836 | es.edusupport@ubc.ca.

Certificate Programs

Tuition for courses applied toward a certificate will be charged on a per-credit basis. Current tuition fees are found in the UBC Calendar: Non-Degree Studies Tuition.

If you have additional questions regarding tuition and fees for Non-Degree or Unclassified studies, please contact Enrolment Services. 604.822.9836 | Contact via the Ask Me Form.

Student Assessed Fees

Certain additional fees apply to students who take courses on campus.

Students who meet certain requirements may opt out of the U-Pass and AMS Extended Health and Dental Plan, during the first two weeks of the term.

To see if you qualify for the U-Pass fee exemption, read the U-Pass FAQ information.

If you think you qualify for an exemption, login to the Student Service Centre (SSC) and click on the Financial Summary tab to navigate to the U-Pass fee exemption page.

If you already have medical/dental coverage (other than BC MSP), you may be able to apply for an exemption if you meet certain requirements and follow the opt-out procedures. Visit the Student Service Centre (SSC) for more information.

Students registered in on-campus courses in the summer session are not assessed Health/Dental Plan fees.

UBC Tuition Fee Certificates

Current UBC students may use Tuition Fee Certificates toward tuition or non-credit fees. The certificates do not cover the cost of course materials, texts, or other fees. Contact Professional Development & Community Engagement for more information: 604.822.2013 | pdce.educ@ubc.ca.

Acceptable courses may be transferred into the Diploma in Education program when they meet these conditions:

  • Courses are conceptually consistent with the topic area of your specialization. Please consult a program coordinator to establish their acceptability.
  • A total of 18 UBC credits, or 12 non-UBC credits, if acceptable, may be advanced or transferred to the diploma program. Courses need to be at the 300-400 (senior) undergraduate level.
  • Only surplus or undeclared credits may be used for transfer credits, i.e. credits which have not been used towards meeting requirements for another degree/diploma program. If surplus credits were completed during your degree program, please provide an email verification from your degree advisor.
  • When courses have been taken prior to starting the diploma, the five-year time frame for the diploma will begin with the date of the first transferred course. If courses have been taken beyond five-years prior to admission to the diploma, they will not be acceptable for transfer.
  • You seek prior approval to take acceptable courses at another university, in which case a Letter of Permission (LOP) will be written by a program coordinator to the university where you will take the courses.
  • Upon successful completion of courses taken outside UBC, you need to forward your official transcript to the program coordinator in TEO.

Official transcripts may be sent directly to:

Program Coordinator
Teacher Education Office
Faculty of Education
The University of British Columbia
2125 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

When the program coordinator receives your official transcript, the credits will be transferred to your diploma program and will be listed on your UBC transcript.

Transferring 300–400 level courses to a graduate program in the Faculty of Education

If you have completed your diploma program, but you wish to retain the ability to transfer certain credits to a subsequent graduate program in the Faculty of Education, there is a process you must follow.

  • Do not apply to graduate from your diploma program, as once you graduate, diploma credits are no longer available for applying to a graduate program.
  • Obtain permission from your Graduate Advisor to use non-conferred diploma credits towards meeting requirements for your graduate program. To do this, download a Diploma Credit Re-Allocation Application Form, list the 300–400 level courses you wish to be applied to your Graduate program, and submit it for approval to your program’s Graduate Advisor.
  • Once approved, your Graduate Advisor will also send this form to the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FOGS) and to the Teacher Education Office (TEO) for approval from a Program Coordinator to release these credits for use towards your graduate program.
  • Once the credits have been re-allocated to a graduate program, please note that they may not be used towards completing diploma requirements in the future.
  • Upon completion of your graduate program, if you wish to complete your diploma, you must take additional credits to replace those which were re-allocated, in order to meet the diploma requirements (total 30 appropriate credits). A diploma program must be completed within 5 years of its start date, which is counted from the date of the first course(s) taken. You’ll need to complete and re-submit the Diploma Program Admission Application in order to be re-admitted. You do not need to pay the application fee. Please contact the TEO for academic advising on completing your diploma program.
Can I use credits from a certificate for the diploma?

In most cases the certificate in a particular area is the first half of the associated diploma. The credits can be used towards the diploma, but one must apply for admission to the diploma program in order for this to happen. Application to the diploma program must be completed immediately as a maximum of 18 credits of non-diploma work can be transferred.

Can I transfer credits from outside of UBC towards a certificate or diploma?

No credit transfer is permitted towards completion of certificate programs. For individuals in the diploma program, a maximum of 12 credits of suitable courses can be transferred towards diploma completion.

Can I use credits from a certificate for a Master’s program?

This decision is made by the graduate advisor for the Master’s program, but in most cases one can use 6 undergraduate credits of suitable coursework to the Master’s.

Can I use credits from a diploma for a Master’s program?

Credits used towards graduation in the diploma program cannot be used a second time for a new qualification. Should one be admitted to a Master’s program before completing the diploma, undergraduate credits could be used, but then the student would not be eligible for graduation in the diploma program.

Requirements for Online learning

To take a course online, you will need to have a computer, access to the Internet, and a UBC Campus Wide Login ID (CWL) and password.

Resources for Online Learning

The UBC Learning Commons has number of excellent resources, tips and tools for taking courses online and how to be successful in them.

Library Resources: Connect From Home

Your EZproxy connection will allow you to access library resources from your computer on or off campus. Connect from home with EZproxy.

Connect Learning Platform

Connect is UBC's primary learning platform for delivering online course content and includes the ability for instructors to share content (text, files, media), enable student collaboration, manage assignments and quizzes, and assign grades. Learn more about Connect, including the Student App so you can engage your course on any device.

Already registered and ready to Connect?

How do I register in a course?

When does course registration open?

  • Registration dates and times are determined by your admission category, find current dates here.

What if the course I want to register in is full?

  • Pick another course.
  • Look at online courses that are available.
  • Consider courses at other institutes, for Transfer Credit.
  • Keep checking the website for drops.

Diploma Completion Time Frame:

  • If enrolled in the Diploma program, you have 5 years to complete all 30 required course credits.
  • This five-year time period is counted from the date of the first course started. For example, Winter 2007, Term 1 is when you started your first course. Your completion date would be Winter 12, Term 1.

Registration Eligibility:

  • You may take as many courses as you wish within a given term. If you skip a term, you need to notify TEO Admissions to have your registration eligibility re-activated when ready to start again.

Core Courses:

  • If you are enrolled in the diploma program, certain courses are core courses that are mandatory to fulfilling the diploma. Each diploma will list options for electives; in some cases, these are approved electives.

Elective Courses:

  • Electives that are optional must be conceptually consistent with the topic of the diploma specialization. Please contact a program coordinator in the Teacher Education Office before registering in elective courses. You are responsible for ensuring that the elective courses you choose are acceptable for your specialization.

Course Information:

  • For course descriptions, course schedules and registration, please visit the UBC Student Services site. To accommodate working teachers, on-campus diploma courses are offered 4:30 – 7:30 p.m. in Winter Term 1 (September to December) and Term 2 (January to April), and Summer Term 1 (May) and in Summer (Term 2) in modules. Register for Winter Terms 1 and 2 in August before course seats fill up.


  • Graduation from UBC requires that you apply to graduate, upon completion of your Diploma in Education program, through the Student Service Centre (SSC).
  • We include full information about how to graduate on the Teacher Education website, for your assistance.
  • Be sure to have a Program Coordinator first check your 30 credits (if you haven’t already done so) to ensure you have met all the requirements.

Completion of Diplomas and Certificates in Education

Diploma Completion (30 credits)

If enrolled in the Diploma program, you have 5 years to complete all 30 required course credits. This five-year time period is counted from the date of the first course started. For example, Winter 2010, Term 1 is when you started your first course. Your completion date would be Winter 2015, Term 1.

Consult with with a program coordinator to confirm successful completion of 30-credits of your diploma program.

Every candidate for a degree must make formal application for graduation. For important application information, dates, and deadlines, please visit the graduation information available on the Student Service Centre (SSC) website.

Full details are posted on UBC’s Graduation website.

Certificate Completion (15 credits)

  1. When you have successfully completed your 15 credit certificate program, you may apply for a certificate by contacting pro-d.educ@ubc.ca.
  2. Certificates may require payment of a $25.00 fee (cash or money order) to the department offering the certificate.

Bette Shippam
Program Coordinator,
Student Services
Dr. Lorrie Miller
Program Coordinator,
Student Services