For New Instructors
If you are a first-time employee at UBC, you must complete the steps below to ensure that you receive your salary in a timely manner. All salary payments are direct-deposited into your bank account. We recommend that you visit the New to UBC web page (this site contains a lot of useful information and provides details on orientation sessions for new employees) as well as the online Quick Start Orientation.
You will need to register for a Campus-Wide Login (CWL). Along with your email address, your CWL ID will be the primary identifier you use in making contact with support resources on campus. Please set up your CWL account if you haven’t already done so. In addition, you are required to submit an updated copy of your CV and a photocopy of your SIN card by email directly to our office.
Finally, we recommend that you become familiar with PDCE policies (as approved by EPAC).
Four Essential Steps to Follow
1. Visit the New to UBC web page.
2. Register for your CWL.
3. Complete the Online Enrollment process for your benefits and payroll information. Please see “Important Notes” below.
4. Email your updated CV and a copy of your SIN card to PDCE.
Important Notes Before You Begin the Benefits/Payroll Enrollment Process
- The session will take approximately 30–40 minutes to complete.
- You must complete the session in one sitting.
- If you close down partway through or leave your keyboard inactive for 30 minutes or more, your session will end and you will lose all of your work.
- Once you have completed all of your forms, you will be prompted to print them. If you exit the session before printing the completed forms, your work will be lost.
- Review the benefits information specific to your employee group before you begin, to ensure that you are prepared for the online enrollment. This will allow you to make informed choices about optional benefits and about any costs associated with the benefits you choose.
For All Instructors
Campus-Wide Login (CWL)
Along with your email address, your CWL ID will be the primary identifier you use in making contact with support resources on campus. Set up your CWL account.
Email Address for UBC Work
Third party email services are not appropriate for the transmission or storage of Confidential information; Confidential information must be stored in Canada and only in UBC owned or authorised environments. Read more.
UBC Academic Policies
Please familiarize yourself with academic regulations by consulting the UBC Calendar. Of particular interest are the regulations about plagiarism, extensions on course work, withdrawals and penalties and grading standards.
UBC Grading Policies
In addition to the UBC Grading Policies, all instructors should review and become familiar with their departmental grading policies:
- Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, and Special Education
- Department of Educational Studies
- Department of Language and Literacy Education
UBC Copyright Policy for Scanning and Copying
Instructors are reminded to review and adhere to the following policies:
Guidelines and Forms
- PDCE Information for Instructors
- Bookstore – Custom Course Package Procedures
- Travel Claim Form (includes mileage and expenses)
Review the information for Off-Campus M.Ed. Cohort Graduate Advisors.
Review the PDCE Policies (as approved by the External Programs Advisory Committee (EPAC)).