2017 SUMMER INSTITUTE:
Making inquiry-informed and innovative practices a way of life
Registration is available for non-credit participation.
All courses are subject to minimum enrolment. We advise that participants do not finalize any travel arrangements until notified that this course is confirmed.
You will leave well prepared to make a difference to your learners by leading inquiry-based and research-informed learning in your school during the 2017-2018 school year based on:
- Applying a disciplined framework for professional inquiry
- Exploring and learning from innovation and change cases from BC, England, New Zealand, Australia, Asia and Europe
- Developing knowledge of the key learning principles that are central to innovative learning environments
- Considering the connections between social emotional learning and physical well-being
- Utilizing the research on growth mindsets to shift the culture of your school
- Understanding how inquiry-based approaches for learners of all ages can build motivation and engagement
Exemplary inquiry leaders will be joining us during the institute sessions.
Facilitated by Dr. Linda Kaser and Dr. Judy Halbert, BC coordinators for the OECD / CERI research study on Innovative Learning Environments and education faculty with the UBC Transformative Leadership program. They are the authors of Spirals of Inquiry: for equity and quality and Leadership Mindsets and directors of the BC Networks of Inquiry and Innovation and the Aboriginal Enhancement Schools Network. They are passionate about inquiry-minded professional learning for BC and Yukon teachers and formal leaders.
Testimonials from past participants:
- “The 7 principles of learning were fully implemented!”
- “Absolutely relevant and inspiring!”
- “I will be using the skills learned in this class immediately in September.”
- “Great strategies for learning topics that I can take back to my district.”
Linda Kaser & Judy Halbert
Linda and Judy have worked intensively with school leadership groups in Canada and internationally. They are active members of the International Congress of School Effectiveness and Improvement. They are the authors of Spirals of Inquiry (2013), Leadership Mindsets: Innovation and Learning in the Transformation of Schools (2009), and 2014 Centre for Strategic Education monograph with Professor Helen Timperley: A Framework for Transforming Learning in Schools: Innovation and the Spiral of Inquiry.
They are the co-leaders of Networks of Inquiry and Innovation and the Aboriginal Enhancement Schools Network in British Columbia and serve as the Canadian representatives to the OECD international research program on Innovative Learning Environments. Linda and Judy have served as teachers, principals, district leaders and senior policy advisors to the Ministry of Education. They are both passionate about learner engagement, indigenous understandings, developing adult and learner curiosity and creating systems of quality and equity.
UBC Vancouver | Face-to-Face
UBC Irving Barber Library | Room #TBC
1961 E Mall, Vancouver | Map
July 7 - 8
8:30 am to 4:00 pm
Friday and Saturday
If you are interested in accommodation on campus, visit these two sites:
- YouBC – accommodations page
- UBC Conferences & Accommodations (Toll-Free Reservations: 1-888-822-1030)
Note that on-campus accommodations fill quickly, and early booking is recommended.
Registration & Fees
Non-Credit Registration & Fees
- Non-Credit Participation Fee: $350 + GST
Non-credit registration opens February 21.
Full payment is required with your online registration in order to reserve your space. We accept payment by credit card or debit card. Please note that should UBC cancel the course, a full refund will be issued.
Refund Policy for Non-Credit Applications: If you would like to withdraw from a course, please submit written notice by to be eligible for a refund (less a $65 administration fee). No refund will be made for cancellations received later than this date, unless a course is cancelled by UBC Faculty of Education.
FAQs: Review the FAQs for Non-Credit Course Registration.